Esrone McDaniels, MPA, serves as the Deputy Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Tidal Basin and has more than 23 years of experience managing and leading more than $2 billion in federal, state, and local disaster recovery housing programs throughout Puerto Rico, Florida, Louisiana, New York and Texas. As Deputy COO, Esrone helps drive our corporate operational objectives for extensive and sustainable growth.
Esrone first joined Tidal Basin as a member of our project staff in support of our work in Puerto Rico, including his service as Deputy Project Manager for Policy on the STEP program and Project Manager on the R3 program. He soon rose to his most recent role as Vice President and Managing Director of Tidal Basin Caribe, where he was responsible for oversight of all projects in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Prior to joining Tidal Basin, Esrone served in key governmental and consulting leadership roles with disaster management and engineering consulting firms. He has a deep understanding of the regulatory framework governing The Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Community Development Block Grant – Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) program and the nuances associated with implementation and compliance. Esrone not only understands the complexities of executing statewide housing programs but also the necessity in working directly with local governments to support their local community development and recovery needs on the ground.
Esrone has assisted in managing numerous large-scale disaster-related housing and infrastructure programs, including the following notable programs:
- Program Manager – Puerto Rico Department of Housing’s $3.2 billion CDBG-DR Housing Repair, Reconstruction and Relocation (R3) Program (one of 4 program managers)
- Deputy Project Director of Policy and Compliance – Puerto Rico Department of Housing’s $1.5 billion FEMA Sheltering and Temporary Essential Power (STEP) program, aka “Tu Hogar Renace”
- Project Management Office (PMO) Senior Manager – Restore Louisiana $1.3 billion CDBG-DR Homeowner Assistance Program
- Project Manager – New York State’s New York Rising’s $1.6 billion CDBG-DR Homeowner Rehabilitation Program
His previous government leadership roles include Homeownership Program Director for the Florida Housing Finance Corporation, CDBG-DR Administrator with the Florida Department of Community Affairs (currently the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity) and Executive Director of the Florida Governor’s Office of Urban Opportunity. In these roles he worked closely with 100+ local governments throughout Florida lending guidance and technical assistance for housing, community and economic development, and infrastructure projects.
When serving as the Administrator of the Disaster Recovery Unit for the Florida Department of Community Affairs’ Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program, Esrone oversaw the $35 million grant administration process for the Florida Small Cities CDBG non-entitlement program and administered approximately $283 million in HUD CDBG-DR funds allocated to Florida at that time.
As Executive Director of Florida’s Office of Urban Opportunity, Esrone was tasked with administering the Governor’s Front Porch Florida Initiative, a community revitalization initiative designed to stimulate economic development and affordable housing activities in twenty (20) economically disenfranchised communities state-wide. He was able to assist in leveraging the state’s $25.6 million investment in these 20 designated Front Porch communities with an additional $82 million dollars in public and private resources. This additional investment brought these designated communities needed affordable housing, health centers, retail shops, jobs and other critical infrastructure that typically produce vibrant communities.
- Regional Guide Right Director of the Year Award for Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Expert conference panelist for the National Council of State Housing Agencies (NCSHA)
- Special Seminar Instructor for Disaster Preparedness in Florida A&M University's College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Services
- Former Adjunct Instructor, College of Allied Health Sciences, Florida A&M University
- Past Advisor to Kappa Leadership League – youth-oriented leadership academy
- Former Keeper of Records for the Tallahassee Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Former member of the Public Administration Graduate Association (PAGA)