San Juan, Puerto Rico, (March 1, 2022)….2017 is a year many Puerto Ricans will not soon forget. It was a hectic hurricane season, and within one month, the island was struck by two major hurricanes: one category 5 and one category 4. The strong winds coupled with the island’s mountainous terrain created wind tunnels, increased rainfall, flash flooding, and left widespread destruction in its wake.
For years prior to 2017, Tidal Basin Group had a presence on the island, but after Hurricanes Irma and Maria, the company knew it had to invest in the proper infrastructure and resources, including local people who understood the island, to help with the massive recovery efforts that were on the horizon.
Tidal Basin Caribe, LLC, was created to provide specialized recovery services in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean, and on March 1, 2018, we officially opened our doors. Since then, Tidal Basin Caribe has been the Caribbean’s premier emergency and disaster management consulting partner, actively supporting temporary and permanent housing, infrastructure, mitigation, and resiliency programs for financial and physical recovery.
Tidal Basin Caribe’s technical expertise includes emergency and disaster management services, grants management, financial compliance, case management, comprehensive project formulation, mitigation strategies, and environmental compliance.
“What sets Tidal Basin Caribe apart is that we are a local company with depth and expertise – backed by the support and resources of the parent company, Tidal Basin,” said Carlos J Castillo, SVP, Senior Vice President and Chief Development Officer at Tidal Basin. “The Tidal Basin Caribe team lives and works in Puerto Rico and combined, have over 40 years of public service on the island. The staff, comprised of local talent, has been assisting Commonwealth agencies and municipalities, including – PREPA, PRDOH, and ENLACE – since 2018.”
Tidal Basin Caribe is currently managing the following programs:
- Community Energy & Water Resilience Installation Program – Providing CDBG-DR Program Management Services for the Puerto Rico Department of Housing (PRDOH).
- Non-Federal Match Program – Providing Community Development Block Grant-Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) program management services for PRDOH.
- Foundation for Puerto Rico – Providing grant management, technical assistance, and training services.
- Case Manager Services Program – Providing case management services to PRDOH to assist small businesses and provide technical assistance with business recovery and growth planning.
- Project Management Services – Providing portfolio management services for the US Virgin Islands Office of Disaster Recovery (ODR) for all FEMA Public Assistance, FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grants (HMGP), Federal Highway Administration Disaster Relief (FHWA-ER), and CDBG-DR, and other federally funded disaster recovery–related program operations.
In addition to helping during times of disaster, Tidal Basin Caribe is committed to supporting the community throughout the year. They participate in blood drives, charitable activities for children shelters and earthquake victims, and make financial contributions to local nonprofits.
“With the aid of local resources, and the shared vision, knowledge, and experience of the team, our vision is to revamp Puerto Rico and the USVI from the aftermath of natural disasters,” said José L. Valenzuela, VP and Managing Director for Tidal Basin Caribe.
# # #
About Tidal Basin Caribe:
Since 2018, Tidal Basin Caribe has been the Caribbean’s premier emergency and disaster management consulting partner, actively supporting temporary and permanent housing, infrastructure, mitigation, and resiliency programs for financial and physical recovery. Tidal Basin Caribe’s integrated disaster management solutions and expertise help clients and partners achieve their disaster preparedness and recovery goals more effectively.