Mr. José L. Valenzuela currently serves as the Senior Director of Mitigation for Tidal Basin. Prior to his Tidal Basin tenure, Mr. Valenzuela was appointed as the State Hazard Mitigation Officer (SHMO) for Puerto Rico on November 2017, after the hurricanes Irma and Maria hit the Island. As the SHMO, Mr. Valenzuela oversaw the biggest HMGP award by FEMA, $2.9 billion, and was responsible for the biggest Code Enforcement mitigation grant awarded by FEMA, $144 million. Mr. Valenzuela led the mitigation team that developed a comprehensive mitigation grant program and initiated an extensive standardization and update process for 78 local mitigation plans. Also as the SHMO, Mr. Valenzuela coordinated all efforts related to risk reduction, such as the FEMA MAT report for hurricanes Irma and Maria, the adoption of the ABFE’s and the adoption of the 2018 ICC Building Codes, among others. This effort has been recognized with the Community Service Award 2019 by the International Code Council.
Mr. Valenzuela has over 20 years of experience in the areas of government, public policy, planning, regulations, floodplain management, grants management, environmental risk management, among others.
Previously, Mr. Valenzuela was appointed in January 2017 as an Associate Member and Vice President of the Puerto Rico Planning Board, the agency that manages the NFIP, the land use regulations and planning for the island. He has been appointed by the Director of the PR Permits Management Office as an Associate Member of the Adjudicative Board, which is responsible for the evaluation and determination of all discretionary permit applications.
Previously, Valenzuela was appointed in January 2009, as the Advisor to the Governor on Energy, Environment, Infrastructure, Permitting and Planning Affairs, a position he held during the entire term of the Administration. As the Governor's Advisor, Mr. Valenzuela actively participated in the drafting process of the PR Energy Reform, which culminated in the approval of Acts Nos. 82 and 83 of July 19, 2010, among other reforms, such as the Permits Reform Act and the Public Private Partnership Act.
Provide expertise, counsel, advice and marketing strategies, particularly with respect to services to applicants, state grantees or other eligible entities, with respect to claims/grants with the FEMA and other government granting entities, as well as hazard mitigation, floodplain management, disaster planning work and/or disaster recovery consulting.
- Puerto Rico Hurricane Maria (DR-4339)
- Puerto Rico Hurricane Irma (DR-4336)
- Puerto Rico Hurricane Georges (DR-1247)
- Puerto Rico Hurricane Irene (DR-4017)
- Puerto Rico Explosions and Fire - Caribbean Petroleum (CAPECO) (EM-3306)
- Puerto Rico Severe Storms, Flooding, Mudslides, And Landslides (DR-4004)
- Puerto Rico Severe Storms, Flooding, Mudslides, and Landslides associated with Tropical Storm Otto (DR-1946)
- Puerto Rico Severe Storms and Flooding (DR-1919)
- Puerto Rico Severe Storms and Flooding (DR-1798)
- Puerto Rico Severe Storms, Flooding, Landslides, and Mudslides (DR-1613)
- Puerto Rico Tropical Storm Jeanne and Resulting Landslides and Mudslides (DR-1552)
- Puerto Rico Flooding (DR-1372)
- Association of State Flood Plain Manager (ASFPM)
- Certified Floodplain Manager - CFM # US-16-09063
- Past - Alternate Board Member of the Puerto Rico Planning Board
- Past - Board Member & Vice-President of the Puerto Rico Planning Board
- Past - Associate Member of the Adjudicative Board
- Past - President of the Puerto Rico Energy Cluster
- Past - Board Member of the Ponce Autism Center
- Past - Board Member of the Ponce Neighborhood Housing
- Jun 17-20, 2019, 2019 National Hydrologic Warning Council Conference, Louisville, Kentucky, US
- Apr 22-25, 2019, 2019 National Hurricane Conference, New Orleans, LA
- Apr 1-5, 2019, 2019 Annual Hazard Mitigation Stakeholder Workshop, National Emergency Management Institute, MD
- Jan 7-10, 2019, Building Innovation 2019 Conference & Expo, Washington, District of Columbia, United States
- Apr 21-24, 2018, American Planning Association, 2018 National Planning Conference, New Orleans, LA
- Mar 12-16, 2018, FEMA 2018 Hazard Mitigation Workshop, Emergency Management Institute, Emmitsburg, MD
- Feb 1-3, 2018, L207 Introduction to Hazard Mitigation Field Operations, San Juan, PR
- Feb 14-15, 2018, L276: Benefit-Cost Analysis: Entry-Level Training, San Juan, PR
- June 17, 2009, Public Funds and Property Administration, The Puerto Rico Comptroller’s Office, San Juan, PR
- Jun 11, 2009, Puerto Rico’s Government Ethics Law, Office of Government Ethics, San Juan, PR
- Dec 10, 2006, Introduction of the Incident Command System (IS-00100), Emergency Management Institute - FEMA, Emmitsburg, MD
- Dec 10, 2006, National Incident Management System (IS-00700), Emergency Management Institute - FEMA, Emmitsburg, MD
- Aug 31, 2006, Advance Floodplain Management Concept, Emergency Management Institute - FEMA, Emmitsburg, MD
- Mar 16, 2006, Advance Cooperative Technical Partners, Emergency Management Institute - FEMA, Emmitsburg, MD