John Marini has extensive disaster recovery experience and knowledge of public adjusting and the FEMA Public Assistance Program. He specializes in assisting public entities with their financial recovery through the integration of insurance claims with FEMA grant funding. John is the author of the Adjusting Today article titled, “Disaster Recovery Planning: Preparation is the Key to Surviving Disasters.”
John has been featured as an expert panelist on Adjusters International’s Property Insurance Roundtable podcast in the episodes titled:
Marini has established a team of more than 140 experts who assist applicants and grantees with their post-disaster FEMA grant management and insurance recovery. He is closely involved in the management of Adjusters International’s Catastrophe Operations, assisting FEMA Public Assistance applicants and grantees with recoveries from Hurricane Andrew in 1992, hurricanes Katrina/Rita/Wilma in 2005, hurricanes Gustav and Ike and the Midwest Floods in 2008, as well as:
- State of New York, Hurricane Sandy Recovery — This is the 17th New York State disaster recovery operation that Marini has managed, leading a team of more than 170 technical assistance consultants working to help 1,305 applicants in 14 counties. In addition, Marini is the Engagement Manager for the AI team of experts who are again assisting the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey with their damage assessment and recovery through insurance and FEMA coverages.
- State of Alaska, Disaster Recovery Framework Engagement — Marini is serving as engagement manager for this project to provide a programmatic and operational framework for structuring and implementing long-term recovery assistance to local governments in order to provide for community restoration.
- State of Alaska, Severe Storms of 2011 and 2012 — Marini served as Engagement Manager, integrating the federal and state-level declarations to provide the state with a cohesive recovery response.
- State of Louisiana, Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill 2010 — Marini oversaw an elite, dedicated team that provided financial support to assist the State of Louisiana to determine the overall financial impact to the state resulting from the BP Oil Spill.
- Hurricane Recovery, Gulf Coast — Marini served as Engagement Manager for the team of 29 AI professionals involved in major hurricane Katrina/Rita engagements throughout the region, including the City of New Orleans, City of Slidell, Port of New Orleans, Mississippi State Port at Gulfport, New Orleans Sewerage & Water Board, West Jefferson Hospital, Audubon Nature Institute in Louisiana, Hancock County, Jackson County, City of Pascagoula, Port of Pascagoula and the Port of Port Arthur and Jefferson County, Texas. The total damages assessed by Adjusters International for these clients totaled over $1 billion.
- 9-11 World Trade Center Terrorist Attack — Marini’s understanding of the complex nature of the FEMA grant process allowed him to advise the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey management, owners of the World Trade Center, to a successful recovery of over a half-billion dollars.
- Oklahoma City Bombing — Named to the Governor’s Task Force on Damage Assessment following the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building.
- Hurricane Recovery, State of Florida — Consulted for the City of Sanibel, Lee County, Monroe County and the City of Fort Myers, Florida, on losses related to catastrophic damages from Hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Wilma.
Licensures & Certifications
- North Carolina
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina